Judge Begged Not to Name Accused in Epstein Child Sex Trafficking Case
Lawyers for anonymous 'John Doe' beg judge to keep identities sealed
An anonymous "John Doe" is begging a judge to keep their identities hidden from the public in the child sex trafficking case against deceased pedophile Jeffrey Epstein and his alleged "pimp" Ghislaine Maxwell, according to reports.
According to a surprise motion filed Tuesday, lawyers representing an unidentified man say he's terrified he’s about to be named in court papers related to Epstein and Maxwell’s child sex slavery ring.
The so-far unnamed man is pleading with a judge not to release his name and identities of others accused — because it could tarnish their reputations.
The John Doe's attorneys filed the letter just one day before Epstein’s self-proclaimed “sex slave” Virginia Roberts Giuffre is expected to join her lawyers in court on Wednesday.
Giuffre and her legal team are continuing efforts to unseal thousands of pages of documents related to her civil lawsuit against the dead pedophile’s alleged procuress, Ms. Maxwell.
“As a non-party to these proceedings, Doe lacks specific knowledge about the contents of the Sealed Materials,” his lawyers wrote to Manhattan federal court judge Loretta Preska.
“But it is clear that these materials implicate the privacy and reputational interests of many persons other than the two primary parties to this action, Giuffre and Maxwell.”
According to the New York Post, the letter goes on to say a prior judge overseeing the case summarized the still-secret documents as containing a “range of allegations of sexual acts involving Plaintiff and non-parties to this litigation, some famous, some not; the identities of non-parties who either allegedly engaged in sexual acts with Plaintiff or who allegedly facilitated such acts.”
Doe’s lawyers do not say in the papers if he is famous, whether he is a prince, if he's British or not, or what accusations he expects to face in the court papers.
His attorneys did not immediately return a message.
Meanwhile, Giuffre’s lawyer David Boies told The Post he expects Wednesday’s hearing to determine a roadmap for how to deal with the remaining mountain-range of material.
“It’s a whole new set of documents, five to 10 times larger in volume than what has been released so far,” the lawyer said, referring to nearly 2,000 pages of case documents that were made public on Aug. 9 — just a day before Epstein’s death by suicide at a lower Manhattan jail.
Bois said the still-sealed tranche contains depositions from never-before-heard witnesses, but declined to provide any names.
And he said that while his client is planning to attend, he doubts her legal adversary will appear.
“I don’t think Maxwell will come out of hiding [for the proceeding],” Boies offered.
The 57-year-old has been virtually absent from the public eye — or New York City social scene — in recent years.
The now-35-year-old accuser Giuffre says she was just a teen when was recruited for sex by Maxwell — daughter of publishing tycoon Robert Maxwell — at Mar-a-Lago resort and sued for defamation when the British socialite called her a liar.
The suit was settled out of court in 2015.
While Giuffre has previously testified she was loaned out to Prince Andrew for sex, it’s not clear if his deposition is among the still-secret records.
Giuffre claims she was also ordered to sleep with a rotating door of high-powered men, including the late MIT professor Marvin Minsky, former Maine Sen. George Mitchell, ex-New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, money manager Glenn Dubin and lawyer Alan Dershowitz.
The men or their representatives have all adamantly denied the allegations.
Epstein’s criminal case was officially dismissed last week, following an emotional hearing in which Manhattan federal court judge Richard Berman heard in-person statements from 16 women who say they were victimized by the financier.
The 66-year-old convicted pedophile was arrested in July, and was the only defendant named in an indictment charging him with conspiracy and sex trafficking of minors.
Federal prosecutors have said their investigation continues.
Lawyers for Maxwell did not immediately return a message.