Illegal Aliens Sue Trump Admin Over Detention Conditions, Quality of Medical Care
Class action lawsuit targets Homeland Security and ICE over migrant facility conditions
A group of migrants has filed a class-action lawsuit against the Trump Administration over the conditions illegal aliens are kept in at ICE detention facilities and the quality of the medical care they receive during their stay.
The case was filed on Monday and specifically targets the Department of Homeland Security and ICE for allegedly ignoring the medical needs of illegal immigrants.
According to disability and civil rights advocates mentioned in the suit, the detainees are placed in isolation and denied medical treatment.
Among the 15 illegal immigrants named in the lawsuit are nationals from countries including Sudan and Mexico.
The migrants are living in eight different facilities, with many currently fighting deportation.
One of the plaintiffs, who is from the Middle East, alleges he was denied a wheelchair.
Another claims he wasn't provided with an interpreter.
According to Associated Press:
Immigrants held in U.S. detention facilities filed a lawsuit Monday decrying what they called shoddy medical care and a failure by authorities to provide accommodations for disabilities.
The problems harm disabled immigrants and threaten anyone in one of Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s more than 50,000 detention beds who winds up getting sick or isolated from other detainees, said Monica Porter, staff attorney at Disability Rights Advocates, one of the organizations that filed the suit.
“ICE cannot simply contract with third parties to operate its detention centers and then wash its hands of the deplorable, unlawful conditions in those detention centers,” said Tim Fox, co-executive director of the Civil Rights Education and Enforcement Center.
The number of immigrants in detention has grown in recent years. There are currently an average 55,000 immigrants in detention each day, according to ICE.
Last month six migrant families filed a lawsuit against the US Government seeking $3 million each.
The families say they need money to fund their medical care and to pay for counseling for the “torture” they endured over last year’s so-called "family separations."
Five out of the six families illegally crossed the border and were arrested.
The sixth family showed up to a port of entry without permission.