CNN To Be Sued $250 Million For Defamation Of Covington Pupil Nick Sandmann
MAGA hat teen' attorney prepares to file lawsuit against news network
Mainstream News outlet CNN is facing a massive $250 million lawsuit over their alleged “vicious” and “direct attacks” on Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann, his lawyer has confirmed.
Attorney L. Lin Wood explained how CNN's s reporting and coverage of Sandman following the infamous viral video of the confrontation between the pupil and native activist Nathan Philips, had prompted his decision to sue the news network.
“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals' homes,” Wood said in a Fox News interview.
“They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites. Totally false.
“Now you say you've seen the tape; if you took the time to look at the full context of what happened that day, Nicholas Sandmann did absolutely nothing wrong."
"He was, as I've said to others, he was the only adult in the room. But you have a situation where CNN couldn't resist the idea that here's a guy with a young boy, that Make America Great Again cap on. So they go after him.”
“The CNN folks were online on Twitter at 7 a.m retweeting the little one-minute propaganda piece that had been put out. … They're out there right away going after this young boy.
"And they maintain it for at least two days. Why didn't they stop and just take an hour and look through the Internet and find the truth and then report it? Maybe do that before you report the lies.”
The lawsuit would be issued “Monday, Tuesday at the latest," Woods said.
“I've got some young, smart lawyers that are working hard as we can," he told Levin.
81-Year-Old Man Assaulted For Wearing MAGA Hat at Supermarket | Neon Nettle https://t.co/cJSgXMBSHs— Joe (@joepalojoe) February 28, 2019
"Double-checking, and listen, when we file complaints, we've investigated it because we want to get it right. Maybe CNN can learn from that."
CNN along and The Washington Post are among the many news outlets targeted for defamation lawsuits.
Sandman's lawyer also filed a lawsuit against the WaPo for "defamatory" coverage of the incident.
“I expect because of the way they went after Nicholas so viciously, that the claim for his reputational damage will be higher than it was against The Washington Post,” the veteran attorney said.
“The Post was $50 million for the reputational damage … $200 million in punitive damages -- punitive damages are designed to punish and to deter.
“The Post wrongfully targeted and bullied Nicholas because he was the white, Catholic student wearing a red ‘Make America Great Again’ souvenir cap on a school field trip to the January 18 March for Life in Washington, D.C. when he was unexpectedly and suddenly confronted by Nathan Phillips (‘Phillips’), a known Native American activist, who beat a drum and sang loudly within inches of his face (‘the January 18 incident’),” the lawsuit filed by lawyers Todd V. McMurtry and L. Lin Wood in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky reads.
Last month, President Donald Trump spoke out in public support for the Covington Catholic School students.
The teenage "MAGA kids" became victims of a global hate campaign following their confrontation with activists Nathan Philips in Washington.
When short videos originally emerged, the incident was framed as a racially motivated attack led by Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann and his classmates.
Looking like Nick Sandman & Covington Catholic students were treated unfairly with early judgements proving out to be false - smeared by media. Not good, but making big comeback! “New footage shows that media was wrong about teen’s encounter with Native American”