Trump to Declare National Emergency, Drafting $7 Billion Border Wall Plan
CNN reveals plan to build the border wall, backed up by White House director
US President Donald Trump is preparing a plan with his administration to declare a national emergency and draft $7 billion to fund construction of the wall along the Southern Border, according to reports.
The move was reported by CNN on Thursday evening and later supported by the White House director of strategic communications, Mercedes Schlapp, who confirmed the plan to Fox News.
The CNN report states that under the draft plan, over $7B could be allocated to build a barrier at the U.S.-Mexico border.
CNN cites, what it claims, is a portion of the draft presidential proclamation.
“The massive amount of aliens who unlawfully enter the United States each day is a direct threat to the safety and security of our nation and constitutes a national emergency,” the proclamation reportedly states.
According to Fox News, Schlapp, who appeared on "The Ingraham Angle," said the president has consulted with border agents who say a physical wall would be an effective tool in stopping illegal entry at the border.
She said it is clear that the solution will not emerge from Congress and that the president is “seriously considering other options,” which includes declaring a national emergency.
The White House has reportedly begun drafting a proclamation to declare the emergency and found the funds to construct the barrier.
CNN reported Thursday that it reviewed the proclamation that cites the 1976 National Emergencies Act, which has been used by every president since passed.
Congressional Democrats and liberal activists warned of a constitutional crisis and promised they would fight any emergency declaration in the courts and in the halls of Capitol Hill.
According to Breitbart, the CNN report cited more of what it said was wording included in a version of the draft that a U.S. official told the outlet was updated at least last week:
“Now, therefore, I, Donald J. Trump, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C 1601, et seq.), hereby declare that a national emergency exists at the southern border of the United States.”
Funds broken down would come from four places, according to the official cited in the report: $3.6 billion from military construction funds, $3 billion from Pentagon civil works funds, $681 million from Treasury forfeiture funds, and $200 million from the Department of Homeland Security.
President Trump has repeatedly expressed that he could declare a state of emergency at the southern border and release funds to build a border barrier and secure the border.
He has also said repeatedly that he would rather not accomplish the task by exercising that option.
Work on the barrier would be done by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, according to the report.
Thursday marked the 34th day of a partial government shutdown, as Democrat congressional leadership has refused to negotiate on the president’s request of $5.7 billion to fund a small portion of wall or barrier and for border security on the southern border.