Neon Nettle
© 2022 Neon Nettle

Subscribe to our mailing list

Advertise Contact About Us Our Writers T&C's Privacy Support Us © 2022 Neon Nettle All Rights Reserved.

Disgruntled Meghan Markle Removes All References to Netflix Show after Being Axed

Pearl was officially canceled last week as part of a wave of cutbacks

 on 9th May 2022 @ 4.00pm
sources familiar with the cancellations told deadline that netflix had warned producers to take projects still in the development stage elsewhere © press
Sources familiar with the cancellations told Deadline that Netflix had warned producers to take projects still in the development stage elsewhere

Meghan Markle has removed all references to her Netflix animation 'Pearl' from her Archewell website after the streaming giant axed the show.

Pearl, the working title for the Markle-created show, was officially canceled last week as part of a wave of cutbacks prompted by Netflix's massive drop in subscribers.

"Like many girls her age, our heroine Pearl is on a journey of self-discovery as she tries to overcome life's daily challenges," a now-removed quote from Meghan read.

It continued:

"I'm thrilled that Archewell Productions, partnered with the powerhouse platform of Netflix and these incredible producers, will together bring you this new animated series, which celebrates extraordinary women throughout history."

the streaming giant shelled out a  100million in the deal with the duke and duchess of sussex in september 2020 © press
The streaming giant shelled out a $100million in the deal with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in September 2020.

As The Daily Mail reported:

The quietly deleted references come a week after Netflix announced the cancelation of the animated show, in which Meghan was taking the role of executive producer along with David Furnish, Elton John's husband.

The Archewell website now features 'Heart of Invictus,' a docu-series about competitors on their journey to the Invictus Games in The Hague in 2020, as the Duchess' sole active media project.

It is Meghan's and Harry's second attempt within a week to salvage their status, after the Queen sensationally banned the couple from appearing at the palace's balcony for Trooping the Colour, the start of the Jubilee commemorations.

The defiant Sussexes later revealed in a tweet via their friend and journalist Omid Scobie that they will still fly in from California - with Archie, three, and Lilibet, 11 months - for the events to mark the monarch's 70 years on the throne that begin on June 2.

Meghan and Prince Harry established Archewell Productions in the autumn of 2020 to create scripted series, docu-series, documentaries, features, and children's programming.

 our revenue growth has slowed considerably   netflix acknowledged in a letter to shareholders © press
'Our revenue growth has slowed considerably,' Netflix acknowledged in a letter to shareholders

Pearl was expected to be the first animated series created by the production company.

It was set to see a young girl inspired by Meghan - whose name means 'pearl' in Welsh - take on various social injustices, while highlighting the work of feminist icons.

Despite dropping Pearl, insiders claimed Netflix remains optimistic about the Archewell deal and has several projects planned, including a documentary series called Heart of Invictus, which follows the recent Invictus Games.

Netflix made several cuts in late April and early May, including dropping two other children's shows and firing staff.

The streaming service scratched Dino Daycare, which was created by Jeff King, and the South Asian-inspired adventure Boons and Curses.

Both shows were already in production.

Sources familiar with the cancellations told Deadline that Netflix had warned producers to take projects still in the development stage elsewhere.

It is unclear if they offered Archewell Productions similar advice.

The streaming giant shelled out a $100million in the deal with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in September 2020.

As of yet, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are yet to produce any published content for the streaming giant.

But the company has pinned hopes that their upcoming series documenting the recent Invictus Games will prove value for the money.

Meghan announced the now-canceled program last July.

She was taking on the roles of "creator and executive producer" - marking the first time the former actress and Suits star would work in the position of EP.

Filmmaker David Furnish, the husband to musician Elton John, was also expected to serve as an executive producer on the series.

Netflix lost 200,000 subscribers in the first quarter of 2022 and the stock dropped 35 percent, which knocked more than $50 billion off of its market cap, CNBC News reported.

This was the biggest loss for Netflix to date, according to Collider.

[RELATED] Meghan Markle Planning to Run for President, Speaking with Top Democrats, Insider Reveals

Share:
Steve Quayle Neon Nettle telegram

Facebook is heavily censoring information from independent sources.

To bypass internet censorship, connect with us directly by enabling our notifications (using the red subscription bell in the bottom right corner) or by subscribing to our free daily newsletter.

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our mailing list

Follow Neon Nettle


PREV
BOOKMARK US
NEXT
on Nettle">BOOKMARK US NEXT on Nettle">BOOKMARK US NEXT on Nettle">BOOKMARK US NEXT