Psaki Melts Down, Blames Tanking Economy on Republicans 'Rooting for Inflation'
White House press secretary slammed for comments about Biden's economy
Jen Psaki has been slammed for her recent comments defending Democrat Joe Biden's agenda after the White House press secretary blamed the sinking economy on Republicans "rooting for inflation."
Psaki was hit with fierce backlash on Tuesday evening over the outlandish remark that she made on Twitter.
The press sec. was referencing a report from The Wall Street Journal that stated:
Republicans argue the Democrats’ social-spending bill would aggravate inflation by injecting trillions of dollars into an overheated economy.
They say they see these issues as powerful political arguments heading into next year’s midterm elections, when Mr. Biden’s party is at risk of losing legislative power.
She then commented on the report with her own unsubstantiated claims.
In a tweet, Psaki claimed:
"Q: Why, when Americans are seeing higher prices, are Republicans united against a bill to lower core costs on prescription drugs, health care, child care, and elder care?
"A: They’re rooting for inflation.”
In an op-ed in The New York Times this week, Steven Rattner, a top economic adviser in the Obama administration, warned that Joe Biden’s Build Back Better agenda, which is what Psaki was referencing, would increase inflation:
So the administration should come clean with voters about the impact of its spending plans on inflation.
Build Back Better can be deemed “paid for” only if one embraces budget gimmicks, like assuming that some of the most important initiatives will be allowed to expire in just a few years.
The result: a package that front-loads spending while tax revenues arrive only over a decade.
The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates that the plan would likely add $800 billion or more to the deficit over the next five years, exacerbating inflationary pressures.
Psaki’s remarks immediately fueled backlash online.
Many noted that Democrats were the ones pushing the aggressive spending measures that are increasing inflationary pressures.
Notable responses included:
- Richard Grenell, former Acting Director of National Intelligence: “Your people worked to shut down the entire U.S. economy to win an election and scared people into ignoring science. A double standard is the only standard you have.”
- Arthur Schwartz, political strategist: “You people want to spend another $3+ trillion. Who’s rooting for inflation?”
- Ryan Bourne, economist: “The ‘zero cost’ thing was bad enough economics, but this….”
- Jake Schneider, GOP: “What a crock from a White House in freefall. Biden & Co can’t run from their economic crisis, which meets every American in everything they buy, so they throw lies at the wall and hope one sticks. Meanwhile, Americans pay the price.”
- Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR): “The White House said inflation is a ‘high-class problem,’ and high gas prices ‘make a stronger case for doubling down our investment.’ This crushing inflation is by design.”
- Chad Gilmartin, GOP comms: “Biden’s approval rating is 10 points underwater so the message now shifts from ‘Biden saved you $0.16’ to ‘inflation is actually Republicans’ fault’ Meanwhile Biden doubles-down on all the policies that will actually make inflation – now at a 31 year high – even worse…”
- Matt Whitlock, political strategist: “’Inflation is transitory’ didn’t work, ‘our bill will lower inflation’ got laughed out of the room, so now it’s ‘Republicans are rooting for inflation.’ This is what a White House in full meltdown mode looks like.”