Prince Andrew Under Investigation for Sex Trafficking Allegations, UK Police Confirms
Metropolitan Police commissioner warns: 'No one is above the law'
Britain's Prince Andrew is being investigated by UK authorities over allegations he raped a teenager who was trafficked to him for sex by convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, London's Metropolitan Police commissioner has confirmed.
Speaking in response to a lawsuit filed against the British royal by an alleged victim in a New York federal court this week, Met Commissioner Cressida Dick said investigators are "looking into" the allegations.
As Neon Nettle reported earlier this week, an alleged victim of child sex trafficker Epstein filed a lawsuit against Andrew, the Duke of York, on Monday.
Virginia Roberts Giuffre is accusing the embattled 61-year-old royal of sexually abusing her at Epstein’s Manhattan mansion and elsewhere when she was still a minor, according to the complaint.
She says she was also raped by the prince when she was 17-years-old at the London home of Epstein's alleged "madam" Ghislaine Maxwell after being trafficked into the UK by the pair.
The lawsuit, filed by Virginia Roberts Giuffre in federal court in New York, comes almost two years to the day that Epstein was found dead in a New York jail while he was awaiting trial on conspiracy and child sex trafficking charges.
Commissioner Dick told London radio station LBC: "As a result of what's going on I've asked my team to have another look at the material."
Ms. Giuffre says she was a victim of sex trafficker Epstein, who allegedly passed her around to powerful elites for sex when she was a minor.
The now-38-year-old says she was raped by Prince Andrew on three seperate occasions.
Her lawyer, David Boies, told Sky News on Monday the duke will have to answer questions.
"The court process now is going to compel him," he said.
"If he were to try to ignore the court the way he's ignored us, there would be a default judgment entered against them.
"That could be enforced in the United States or in England or elsewhere in the world.
"So I don't think he's going to ignore the court.
"And as a result, he's going to be held to account."
In a car crash BBC Newsnight interview in 2019, Prince Andrew said he had never had sex with Ms. Giuffre, saying: "I can absolutely categorically tell you it never happened."
The duke said he had "no recollection" of ever meeting her and that there were "a number of things that are wrong" about her account.
He has also suggested, without evidence, that a photo taken in Maxwell's London home showing Andrew with his arm around Ms. Giuffre may have been doctored.
The prince even denied he was ever in London on March 10, 2001 - the night of the alleged rape.
According to Andrew, he couldn't have raped the teenager in London on that night because he was at a Pizza Express restaurant in Woking with his young daughter that evening - It's roughly one hour's drive away.