Neon Nettle
© 2020 Neon Nettle

Subscribe to our mailing list

Advertise Contact About Us Our Writers T&C's Privacy Support Us © 2020 Neon Nettle All Rights Reserved.

Islamists Behead Over 50 People in Mozambique During Village Slaughter

Militants use soccer pitch as a public 'execution ground' after abducting female villagers

 on 11th November 2020 @ 12.00pm
the violent attack was carried out by isis linked islamic extremists © press
The violent attack was carried out by ISIS-linked Islamic extremists

Islamic militants have beheaded more than 50 people during a brutal attack on a village in Mozambique, East Africa, according to reports.

The Islamists reportedly carried out public executions on a local soccer pitch before chopping up the bodies, abducting female villagers, and burning the homes down to the ground.

During the gruesome slaughter, the dismembered victims' bodies were scattered across a forest clearing, where they were discovered on Monday. 

Villagers were caught and killed as they tried to escape the violence.

While people were being slaughtered, another group of militants set homes alight during the attack on Friday and Saturday, it is believed.

The attack is the latest in a growing wave of jihadist violence in Mozambique by ISIS-linked Islamic extremists.

mozambique soldiers patrol the northern town of mocimboa da praia before it was taken over by isis militants © press
Mozambique soldiers patrol the northern town of Mocimboa da Praia before it was taken over by ISIS militants

Some of the gunmen are said to have chanted "Allahu Akbar" when they raided a village and abducted some of its women, while others slaughtered victims in nearby Muatide, according to BBC News

As many as 4,000 militants are thought to be fighting against Mozambique's government and other groups as the Islamists try to establish a "caliphate." 

"They burnt the houses then went after the population who had fled to the woods and started with their macabre actions," a Mozambique police chief said, according to The Times.   

Militants operating in the area had attacked several nearby villages the week before, looting and burning homes before retreating into the surrounding thicket.   

In one case, more than a dozen men and boys were beheaded by suspected jihadists during a male initiation ceremony.  

"Police learned of the massacre committed by the insurgents through reports of people who found corpses in the woods," said an officer in the Mueda district.

"It was possible to count 20 bodies spread over an area of about 500 meters," he added.

"These were young people who were at an initiation rite ceremony accompanied by their advisers."

An aid worker in Mueda said body parts had been sent to the victims' families for burial, according to The Daily Mail.

"Funerals were held in an environment of great pain," said the worker.

"The bodies were already decomposing and couldn't be shown to those present."

Jihadists have caused havoc in the province over the past three years, ravaging villages and towns as part of their insurgency in the province of Cabo Delgado. 

The gas-rich northern province is home to $60billion worth of energy developments, but the region's mostly Muslim inhabitants have seen little of the money and the area is feared to be a recruiting ground for extremists. 

In March, ISIS claimed responsibility for an attack just south of some of the gas projects being developed by the likes of Exxon Mobil and Total. 

The UK is thought to be providing a loan of up to £1billion for one gas pipeline project in the African country.  

the islamists burned the homes down to the ground after slaughtering the villagers © press
The Islamists burned the homes down to the ground after slaughtering the villagers

The militants have stepped up their offensive in recent months and violently seized swathes of territory, terrorizing citizens in the process.

In April, jihadists shot dead and beheaded more than 50 youths for allegedly refusing to join their ranks.

ISIS has also warned South Africa that it could face retaliation from jihadists if it tried to intervene and shore up Mozambique's government. 

The unrest has killed over 2,000 people since 2017, more than half of them civilians, according to the US-based Armed Conflict Location & Event Data group.

Over 400,000 others have been displaced by the conflict and sought refuge in nearby towns and cities.

Around 10,000 people fled to the provincial capital Pemba via boat over the past week alone, Doctors Without Borders said Tuesday, raising concerns over access to clean water and sanitation.

Little is known about Mozambique's jihadists, who call themselves Al-Shabab - although they have no known links to the group of that name operating in Somalia.

Last year the militants pledged allegiance to ISIS.

[RELATED] Iraqi Girls as Young as 9 Sold for 1-Hour-Long 'Pleasure Marriages' Under Islamic Law

Share this post:
tags: Terrorism | ISIS

Facebook is heavily censoring information from independent sources.

To bypass internet censorship, connect with us directly by enabling our notifications (using the red subscription bell in the bottom right corner) or by subscribing to our free daily newsletter.

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our mailing list

Follow Neon Nettle


PREV
BOOKMARK US
NEXT