Mark Zuckerberg Warns of 'Risk of Civil Unrest' Following Presidential Election
Facebook founder makes warning in conference call
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said during a conference call with analysts that he believes there could be “civil unrest” across the United States following the presidential election.
The Facebook founder said the social media platforms intend to post notices at the top of users’ news feeds on November 3 to avoid premature announcements of victory.
“If any candidate or campaign tries to declare victory before the final results are called, we will put a notification to the top of People’s Facebook and Instagram feed, letting them know the results aren’t final yet and we’ll put an informational label on the candidate’s post.”
Zuckerberg said that his platform was taking the initiative as “There is a risk of civil unrest across the country, and given this, companies like ours need to go well beyond what we’ve done before.”
He also added Facebook “helped 4.4 million people register [to vote] exceeding the goal that we set for ourselves this summer.”
Zuckerberg said following the suspicion of new political ads being passed on the platform:
“We’re doing this because while I generally believe that the best antidote to bad speech is more speech, in the final days of an election, there may simply not be enough time to contest new claims.”
BUSTED: Facebook bans pro-Trump group, President shines the spotlight, Facebook REVERSES and blames ‘error’— Neon Nettle (@NeonNettle) November 1, 2020
READ MORE: https://t.co/nMyqA3qTJT
The news comes a week after Facebook and Twitter CEOS were called to testify before Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Terrorism next week over allegations the social media giants are participating in "election interference."
Zuckerberg and Twitter's Jack Dorsey were formally requested by U.S. Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) to explain their companies' actions during a hearing titled "Digital Platforms and Election Interference.”
Twitter later restricted access to an official government website after House Judiciary Committee Republicans re-posted the Post story and shared it on Twitter.
In response to the backlash Twitter received, Twitter CEO Dorsey admitted the "communication around our actions on the @nypost article was not great."
He also said blocking the Post article's URL with "zero context" was "unacceptable."
Earlier this year, Facebook content moderators admitted to anti-conservative bias and targeting supporters of President Donald Trump.
In secretly filmed footage, published by investigative activist group Project Veritas in June, moderators appear to boast about deleting content from Trump supporters or users "wearing a MAGA hat."