Wisconsin Democrat Governor Slams Police Over Shooting, Despite Not Knowing Details
Gov Tony Evers criticises law enforcement in statement
Wisconsin Democratic Governor Tony Evers blasted law enforcement officials after a black man was shot in Kenosha, despite no official details of the incident being released.
In his statement, Evers said not all the details of the case were yet known:
“Tonight, Jacob Blake was shot in the back multiple times, in broad daylight, in Kenosha, Wisconsin."
"Kathy and I join his family, friends, and neighbors in hoping earnestly that he will not succumb to his injuries,” Evers said in a statement.
“While we do not have all of the details yet, what we know for certain is that he is not the first Black man or person to have been shot or injured or mercilessly killed at the hands of individuals in law enforcement in our state or our country.”
“And we stand against excessive use of force and immediate escalation when engaging with Black Wisconsinites,” Evers continued.
“I have said all along that although we must offer our empathy, equally important is our action."
"In the coming days, we will demand just that of elected officials in our state who have failed to recognize the racism in our state and our country for far too long.”
A video of the incident quickly went viral, which showed several police officers engaged Blake before withdrawing their weapons and opening fire as he seemingly refused to comply.
As Blake continued to ignore police commands before trying to enter a vehicle, officer opened fire on Blake, shooting him several times.
Another video shows the incident from another angle.
Here's a video of the shooting that happened in Kenosha, Wisconsin. This video shows the shooting of Jacob Blake from a different vantage point. pic.twitter.com/d2CYIis6Zm— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) August 24, 2020
A warrant had been out for Blake’s arrest, according to fact-finding website Heavy.com.
According to Wisconsin Circuit Court Access online records, a Jacob S. Blake, same age and with an address in the same exact block where the shooting occurred, had a warrant issued for him on July 7 on pending accusations of misdemeanor criminal trespass to a dwelling with domestic abuse as a modifier; felony third-degree sexual assault with domestic abuse as a modifier; and misdemeanor disorderly conduct with domestic abuse as a modifier. A support action was dismissed, and the only other case that comes up is for not having a driver’s license.
A 2015 story in Racine Eye described how “Racine police say K9 Dozer had to help officers take a man into custody when the man refused to go quietly into custody after he pulled a gun at a local bar.” The man was described as Jacob Blake, 24, of Racine, which makes him the same age as the man shot by police on August 23. The Racine Eye story says he was charged with “one felony count of resisting arrest causing a soft tissue injury to a police officer and one misdemeanor counts each of carrying a concealed weapon, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, endangering safety-use of a dangerous weapon, and disorderly conduct.” Those charges don’t show up on the circuit court website, though.
A statement was released by the Kenosha Police Department following the incident, saying the officers were called to the 2800 block of 40th Street.
The street appeared to be the same street that was listed on the warrant had been issued were police were responding to a domestic incident.
The incident is being investigated by the Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI).