Child Sexually Assaulted in Area of Minneapolis Where Police are Boycotted
The people who took the victim to the hospital refused to call the police
A child hs been sexually assaulted in the homeless encampment at Powderhorn Park, Minneapolis, where neighbors have boycotted law enforcement and vowed not to report crimes to police in the wake of George Floyd protests.
The suspect is accused of sexually assaulting a juvenile in the park as police carry out the search.
But it is still not clear if the child was living in the encampment.
Police said they were notified about the assault by Abbott Northwestern Hospital.
The people who took the victim to the hospital failed to call the police.
Neighbors of the encampment have worn off calling law enforcement in solidarity with their neighbors of color.
Residents of Powderhorn Park neighborhood, mostly liberal white women, have vowed to a blind eye to any property damage, including to their own homes, according to The New York Times.
The Times added they even requested a block party permit from the city to limit car traffic.
According to one male resident, he regretted calling the police on two Black teenagers who pulled a gun on him and demanded his car.
“So I would have lost my car. So what?” he told The Times.
BREAKING: Man accused of shooting two Tulsa police officers arrested— Neon Nettle (@NeonNettle) June 29, 2020
READ MORE: https://t.co/yglk6uFkBl
Now residents are concerned about the dangers the encampment is bringing to the community.
Volunteers have replaced police and patrolling the area at night.
“It’s not maybe the best situation, but we try to make it as safe as possible here,” Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board Commissioner Londel French said.
“If I had control of billion-dollar budgets, yeah, help would be on the way,” he said.
"But I have control over — me and eight other people have control over a park board budget that wasn’t meant to address the problem of homelessness.”
“Community response, not government response, we don’t have any government help in this situation,” Sheila Delaney told Fox.
Neon Nettle reported last week that Minneapolis City Council members pushing to 'defund the police' spent $63,000 on private security detail following death threats.
The private security detail is reportedly costing $4,500 a day in taxpayer's money.
The total spent over the last three weeks now stands at $63,000.
“The names of the people getting security details are not public,” a city spokesperson told Fox News.