Trump to Slash Immigration by Over Half a Million to Help Unemployed Americans
Trump will further expand the bans to additional types of visas
President Donald Trump is suspending five classes of visas in an effort to open over 500,000 jobs to unemployed Americans.
According to three senior administration officials, the President will extend the 60-day halt he issued on April 22 for green-card recipients or those approved to as permanent legal residents.
Trump will further expand the bans to additional types of visas.
A senior administration official said:
"That is being extended to the end of the year, and the president is expanding that measure in light of the, frankly, the expanding unemployment and the number of Americans out of work."
"He's going to include a number of nonimmigrant visas."
The Visa suspension will block 525,000 immigrants from entering the U.S. through the end of 2020.
The current existing visa limitations will expire on Monday.
Foreigners receive visas to live permanently in the U.S.
But nonimmigrant visas are for those who wish to enter the U.S. for a limited time period.
The White House will restrict most, if not all, H-1B, H-4, H-2B, J, and L visas.
In April, Trump limited H-1B visas with exceptions for workers in essential industries.
Workers in seasonal jobs are affected by the H-2B visa restrictions, which include hotel and construction sectors.
H-4 visas are for immediate family members of H-1B recipients.
J visas go to students in work-based programs.
L visas are for company employees in managerial or executive positions.
Earlier this year, Trump suspended the admittance of foreigners from a number of countries, while allowing foreign workers on temporary and long-term visas to enter.
But Republican Sens. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Chuck Grassley of Iowa, Ted Cruz of Texas, urged the Presdient to pause the guest worker programs as unemployment rates began creeping up to 13%.
DHS spokesman in the Obama administration, Peter Boogaard, said the move was ironic in light of Trump's efforts to undo an Obama-era executive action, arguing it was an executive overreach.
"As the White House prepares to unveil new EO to massively cut legal immigration, they are also simultaneously saying that it was illegal for Obama to use an EO to protect DACA, after losing at SCOTUS," Boogaard wrote on Twitter.
As the White House prepares to unveil new EO to massively cut legal immigration, they are also simultaneously saying that it was illegal for Obama to use an EO to protect DACA, after losing at SCOTUS.— Peter Boogaard (@pboogaard) June 22, 2020
Reporters have got to call them out on this nonsense.
Neon Nettle reported last month that millions of dollars worth of U.S. unemployment funds has were stolen by a foreign fraud ring based in Nigeria.
The Nigerian crime network allegedly stole vast sums of money in benefits meant to help jobless Americans.