Neon Nettle
© 2020 Neon Nettle

Subscribe to our mailing list

Advertise Contact About Us Our Writers T&C's Privacy Support Us © 2020 Neon Nettle All Rights Reserved.

Chinese City Braces for Second Coronavirus Wave as New 'Cluster' Emerges

Mudanjiang in north-eastern China suffers fresh COVID-19 cases, sparking new fears

 on 29th May 2020 @ 12.00pm
a new cluster of coronavirus cases has emerged in mudanjiang in north eastern china © press
A new cluster of coronavirus cases has emerged in Mudanjiang in north-eastern China

A city of 2.8 million people in China is bracing for a second wave of the coronavirus outbreak after a new "cluster" of COVID-19 has emerged, according to reports.

A north-eastern Chinese city of Mudanjiang in Heilongjiang province has been hit with a fresh wave of coronavirus cases as officials scramble to hunt down the "unknown source" of a new infection cluster.

Mudanjiang has recorded a total of 11 domestic infections with no symptoms in the past three days.

The discovery has prompted local authorities to shut down public transport, with railway and coach stations being closed on Thursday.

Domestic and international flights have all been canceled and schools suspended and sent students home.

Online posts from citizens have claimed that their compounds were put under isolation but the city government has yet to release an official notice to seal off all residential complexes.

a resident is tested for coronavirus symptoms before he enters a local community in mudanjiang © press
A resident is tested for coronavirus symptoms before he enters a local community in Mudanjiang

Local health authorities Tuesday reported the cluster's first two cases, a couple who contracted the killer bug from an unknown source that officials are still trying to track down.

The city of Mudanjiang is situated in a north-eastern Chinese region of over 100million people, Dongbei.

The region has been ravaged by the deadly disease after two cities went into Wuhan-style lockdown this month, according to The Daily Mail.

On Wednesday, Mudanjiang officials reported five more asymptomatic patients. Another four new infections were reported by the local authorities today.

The nine infected residents were said to have had close contact with the couple who first contracted the deadly virus, according to official statements.

Authorities said that the first two patients were detected while local officials were conducting coronavirus screening in the city.

The residential complex where the couple lived has been sealed off, with no outsiders allowed to enter, according to Chinese media.

The city has yet to enter lockdown but its public transport services including trains and buses have been closed, according to an official statement Tuesday.

A video released by Pear Video today shows the city's airport empty with shut doors as a staff member said that all flights had been canceled with no confirmed dates of resuming.

It comes after the provincial capital of Heilongjiang, Harbin city, adopted draconian quarantine measures in late April after reporting more than 70 infections.

The virus was believed to be "imported" into the city by a student who had returned from New York, Communist Party officials claim.

shulan  a city of 700 000 people located in jilin province  has been under lockdown since may 9 © press
Shulan, a city of 700,000 people located in Jilin province, has been under lockdown since May 9

The city of Mudanjiang is situated in the Dongbei area in north-eastern China.

Growing fears of a second wave have been fuelled in the vast region with 108million residents after two cities from the area went under Wuhan-style lockdown in May.

Shulan, a city of 700,000 people located in Jilin province, has been under lockdown since May 9 after reporting 12 COVID-19 cases in the space of two days.

Four days later, the city of Jilin, with a population of more than four million, shut down its borders and suspended public transport after reporting six new confirmed cases, all linked to the infection cluster in Shulan.

The two cities have remained under lockdown as of today.

They reported at least 43 infections, all linked to the same source, a local laundry worker.

But it continues to remain unknown how she first contracted the bug.

According to Jilin officials, a total of twenty COVID-19 patients are being treated at local hospitals.

Two deaths have been reported.

The coronavirus pandemic has infected nearly 5.9million people worldwide and claimed at least 362,000 lives.

[RELATED] China Deploys Aircraft Carriers to Taiwan Sparking Invasion Fears

Share this post:
tags: coronavirus | China

Facebook is heavily censoring information from independent sources.

To bypass internet censorship, connect with us directly by enabling our notifications (using the red subscription bell in the bottom right corner) or by subscribing to our free daily newsletter.

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our mailing list

Follow Neon Nettle


PREV
BOOKMARK US
NEXT