Trump Shreds WHO Over Coronavirus Response: 'The US Has Been Foolishly Funding Them'
President blast global health body for being 'China centric'
President Donald Trump blasted the World Health Organization [WHO] saying the global health body had mishandled the coronavirus pandemic by giving preference to China.
During a Fox News Town Hall with Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum, Trump answered questions via Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Question: Are you considering new tariffs to punish China?
“The World Health Organization has been a disaster,” Trump said.
The President said the WHO passed “wrong” information that was China-centric.
He also noted that the United States had been "foolishly" funding the WHO $450 million a year, while China paid just $38 million a year.
“But, the [WHO] were more political than all of our leaders previously,” Trump said.
“What the WHO did, they missed every single call.”
Question: “Is there enough evidence that China misled the global community about this coronavirus? If so, how should the global community respond?
“Don’t forget, China tried to blame the [coronavirus pandemic] on some of our soldiers, and that didn’t go too far,” Trump noted.
The president was a referencing statement appearing on Chinese state media.
Trump said China then tried to blame the pandemic on Europe as Italy “suffered probably more than anybody per capita.”
Trump also said China made a “horrible mistake, and they did not want to admit it.”
WATCH: Bill Gates says “China did a lot of things right” while criticizing U.S. reaction to pandemic— Neon Nettle (@NeonNettle) April 27, 2020
READ MORE: https://t.co/ibXaoa34rN
Last month President Trump said the US was looking into suing China for compensation to cover the economic damage caused as a result of the virus.
China has been widely criticized by countries around the world for mishandling and covering-up the beginning of the outbreak.
The UK Government has also insisted that the Chinese Communist Party (CPC) has instituted a campaign of misinformation over the virus.
US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, also said there was “enormous evidence” the coronavirus outbreak originated in a Chinese laboratory.
Additionally, Neon Nettle reported that Dr. Anthony Fauci had previously backed funding for the Wuhan laboratory, which was studying the coronavirus in bats.
The news comes a week after reports that Barack Obama's National Institutes of Health (NIH) sent a $3.7 million grant to the Wuhan Institute of Virology in 2015.