Rudy Giuliani: ‘Fauci Gave $3.7 Million to Wuhan Laboratory’ in 2014
Trump's personal legal counsel says 'something here is going on'
President Donald Trump's personal legal counsel, Rudy Giuliani, accused the Obama administration of funding China's Wuhan laboratory in 2014, the location where the deadly coronavirus outbreak allegedly originated.
Speaking on New York AM 970 radio’s “The Cats Roundtable,” Giuliani said if he was a U.S. Attorney, he would investigate the Obama administration and Dr. Anthony Fauci.
Giuliani suggested Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, would have known about the practices in the Wuhan lab, where they sent $3.7 million.
“You could say [China’s experimenting] … was for the purpose of weaponizing it,” Giuliani told host John Catsimatidis.
“Back in 2014, the Obama administration prohibited the U.S. from giving money to any laboratory, including in the U.S., that was fooling around with these viruses," he added.
"Prohibited! Despite that, Dr. Fauci gave $3.7 million to the Wuhan laboratory. And then even after the State Department issued reports about how unsafe that laboratory was, and how suspicious they were in the way they were developing a virus that could be transmitted to humans, we never pulled that money," he argued.
"So, something here is going on, John. I don’t want to make any accusations. But there was more knowledge about what was going on in China with our scientific people then they disclosed to us when this first came out," Giuliani added.
"I mean, just think of it, if this laboratory turns out to be the place where the virus came from — we paid for it. We paid for the damn virus that’s killing us.”
“Today, if I were U.S. Attorney, I’d open an investigation into the Wuhan laboratory,” he added.
“And I’d want to know what did we know? How much did we know about how bad the practices were there? Who knew about it? And who sent them money anyway?
"And that person would sure as heck be in front of a grand jury trying to explain to me — what are you asleep?”
Earlier this month, President Donald Trump promised to find out if COVID-19 leaked from a Chinese lab.
Trump said during a press briefing on April 18 that his administration was investigating the origins of the coronavirus outbreak.
Trump pledged that the U.S. government is "going to find out" how the deadly pandemic was unleashed on the public by China.
Additionally, Fox News reported that there was increasing confidence that the outbreak likely originated in a Wuhan lab.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the administration was eyeing the Wuhan Institute of Virology and accused the Chinese government of stonewalling scientists from finding out what happened.
As The Washington Post reported earlier this month, the State Department had repeatedly warned that the Wuhan lab was conducting coronavirus research on bats in 2018.
Officials warned that there were safety concerns at the lab.
“In January 2018, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing took the unusual step of repeatedly sending U.S. science diplomats to the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV), which had in 2015 become China’s first laboratory to achieve the highest level of international bioresearch safety (known as BSL-4),” The Post’s reported.