Trump Hints WHO Funding Will Be Cut Over Handling of Coronavirus: 'They Blew it'
World Health Organization accused of facilitated China's propaganda
President Donald Trump suggested he may consider cutting funding for the World Health Organization due to its handling of the coronavirus crisis, along with its alleged role in supporting China's propaganda.
“The W.H.O. really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China centric. We will be giving that a good look. Fortunately I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?”
The W.H.O. really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China centric. We will be giving that a good look. Fortunately I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 7, 2020
WHO now faces growing questions over its response to the pandemic.
In January, WHO tweeted information that quoted “preliminary” findings from Chinese authorities, which attempted to downplay the severity of the virus.
Former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley tweeted:
"The WHO owes an explanation to the world of why they took China’s word for it. So much suffering has been caused by the mishandling of information and lack of accountability by the Chinese."
Currently, the United States pays The WHO nearly $116 million per year, while voluntarily giving between approximately $100 million and $400 million more per year to the WHO for specific projects.
The total figures show the US paid over $500 million to the WHO that year.
A resolution was introduced last month in the House and Senate that called on WHO Director Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to retract “highly misleading statements of support for the response of the Government of the People’s Republic of China.”
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is also now facing calls to resign from American politicians and others around the world over criticism that his organization failed to respond appropriately to the coronavirus.
Leading the calls for Ghebreyesus's resignation is Sen. Martha McSally, R-Ariz., who said that she has "never trusted a communist" and that Chinese government's "cover-up of this virus that originated with them has caused unnecessary deaths around America and around the world... I think Dr. Tedros needs to step down."
This was posted by the WHO on January 14th. The WHO owes an explanation to the world of why they took China’s word for it. So much suffering has been caused by the mishandling of information and lack of accountability by the Chinese. https://t.co/SooEnEPsjJ— Nikki Haley (@NikkiHaley) April 3, 2020
In March, Tedros tweets praise for China saying:
"[f]or the first time, #China had reported no domestic #COVID19 cases yesterday. This is an amazing achievement, which gives us all reassurance that the #coronavirus can be beaten."
Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., also called for an investigation and hearing into the WHO:
"When it comes to Coronavirus, the WHO failed," he said.
"They need to be held accountable for their role in promoting misinformation and helping Communist China cover up a global pandemic," Scott said last week.
"We know Communist China is lying about how many cases and deaths they have, what they knew and when they knew it – and the WHO never bothered to investigate further."
China's dishonest reporting, along with the withholding of information, has caused many countries to guess on what actions to take due to lack of data.
President Donald Trump's leading COVID-19 task force coordinator, Dr. Deborah Birx, admitted that they "didn’t know how contagious” coronavirus was due to holes in the data reported by China.
"And so, now we’re finding out that most of the reporting was around very severe cases, severe cases that presented in a very difficult situation, and that they weren’t really measuring asymptomatic or mild disease," she added.