McConnell: Democrats ‘Diverted’ Focus from Coronavirus with Trump Impeachment
'It came up while we were tied down in the impeachment trial'
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that the government was distracted from focusing on the coronavirus because of the Democrats’ efforts to impeach President Donald Trump, as it came up during the trial.
McConnell told Hugh Hewitt:
“It came up while we were tied down in the impeachment trial."
"And I think it diverted the attention of the government because everything every day was all about impeachment," McConnell added.
In February, the Senate voted to acquit President Donald Trump following months of testimonies and investigations.
Votes were on two separate articles of impeachment.
The first was an abuse of power article, and the second was obstruction of Congress.
Here is a brief timeline that shows Trump's proactive approach against the coronavirus throughout his impeachment trial:
- In January, the House of Representatives voted to send the articles of impeachment against Trump to the Senate and approved the House’s impeachment managers.
- The first coronavirus patient arrived in the U.S. from China on Jan. 15.
- The White House formed a coronavirus task force on Jan. 27.
- Trump chaired a meeting of the task force on Jan. 29.
- On Jan 31, the President imposed a travel ban on China to slow the spread of the virus to the U.S.
- On Feb. 4, Trump spoke about coronavirus in his State of the Union address, which Pelosi tore in half.
CBS News Caught Using Footage From Italian Hospital While Describing Conditions in New York— Neon Nettle (@NeonNettle) March 30, 2020
READ MORE: https://t.co/YQxQdqrN7g
But it wasn't until Feb 5, the day the impeachment ended, that Democrats did anything about coronavirus.
On Monday, President Trump told reporters that impeachment did not affect his ability to respond to the coronavirus, but it had distracted Democrats.
"I don’t think I would have done any better had I not been impeached, ok?" Trump said.
"I think that’s a tribute to something. Maybe it’s a tribute to me. But I don’t think I would have acted any differently, or I don’t think I would have acted any faster," he said.
"But the Democrats, their whole life, whole being, their whole existence was to try and get me out of office any way they can, even if it was a phony deal — and it was a phony deal."