Pompeo: World Will Hold China Responsible for Coronavirus
Secretary of State accuses China of cover up and propaganda
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stated that other member nations of the G7 understood China was launching a false propaganda campaign accusing the U.S. Military of planting the deadly coronavirus in their country.
Pompeo outlined China's reluctance to work with the US on combatting the virus.
“We’ve wanted to work with the Chinese Communist Party throughout this crisis – this crisis that began in Wuhan, China,” Pompeo said.
“We tried – you’ll remember – from the opening days to get our scientists, our experts on the ground there so that we could begin to assist in the global response to what began there in China, but we weren’t able to do that. The Chinese Communist Party wouldn’t permit that to happen.”
“You’ll recall, too, at the beginning of this, when it was clear that this was an issue, China knew about it, they were the first country to know about the risk to the world from this virus, and they repeatedly delayed sharing that information with the globe,” Pompeo continued.
He added, “there was a lot of discussions today amongst the G7 about the intentional disinformation campaign that China has been and continues to be engaged in."
"You see it. You see it in the social media. You see it in remarks from senior people inside the Chinese Communist Party talking about whether this was a U.S. – U.S. brought to China," he continued.
As Neon Nettle reported earlier this month, spokesman for communist China’s Foreign Ministry, Zhao Lijian, said the deadly coronavirus 'might' have been brought to China by members of the U.S military.
“When did patient zero begin in US? How many people are infected? What are the names of the hospitals? It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan. Be transparent! Make public your data! US owe us an explanation!," Lijian tweeted.
"I mean, this is crazy talk. And every member of the G7 today saw that – this disinformation campaign. China now making small sales of products around the world and claiming that they are now the white hat in what has taken place here.”
Pompeo was later asked about discussion among members of Congress about launching an international investigation into China over what happened.
“With respect to the first, I’ll leave to Congress. I’m not doing that anymore,” Pompeo said.
Sec. of State @MikePompeo: There was discussion at the G-7 about the “Intentional Disinformation Campaign” that China has been engaged in. The idea that the U.S. Military brought Coronavirus to China is “Crazy talk”. pic.twitter.com/NnDuLR8MfY— ALX 🇺🇸 (@alx) March 26, 2020
“I’ll leave to Congress to decide how they want to proceed. But as I said earlier, today is not the day for recriminations and accountability. We need to make clear that the information that is available to everyone in the world is available. That means full transparency by everyone, including by the Chinese Communist Party," he added.
"This is a continuing challenge. We still need good information from the Chinese Communist Party about what has taken place there and the level of the virus that continues inside of that country. We need accurate, transparent information just like we’re demanding from every country around the world.”
“But there will be a right time,” Pompeo said.
“After we’ve managed to address this crisis, after we’ve managed to get these economies back on their feet, there’ll be a time for the world to evaluate responsibility for what took place.”
On Wednesday, Pompeo accused China of denying the world important information on the deadly coronavirus, putting the world at risk in tackling the epidemic.
He added China's actions had “truly put thousands of lives at risk.”
“My concern is that this cover-up, this disinformation that the Chinese Communist Party is engaged in, is still denying the world the information it needs so that we can prevent further cases or something like this from recurring again,” he added, Reuters reported.