Neon Nettle
© 2020 Neon Nettle

Subscribe to our mailing list

Advertise Contact About Us Our Writers T&C's Privacy Support Us © 2020 Neon Nettle All Rights Reserved.

Canada Cuts Off Funding for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Canadian government confirms it will no longer cover security costs for 'royal' couple

 on 28th February 2020 @ 12.00pm
canada has confirmed it will no longer pay for prince harry and meghan markle s security costs © press
Canada has confirmed it will no longer pay for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's security costs

Canada will no longer pay the huge bill to fund Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's round-the-clock security costs, the Canadian government has confirmed.

The couple's massive security bill will no longer be paid for by either the Canadian or British taxpayer after they officially step down as senior royals.

The government department currently paying for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex during their Canadian stay - Public Safety Canada (PSC) - announced it will no longer meet their security costs.

The news comes as the soon-to-be unemployed couple is just weeks away from officially dropping out of their Royal Family roles. 

PSC - the department responsible for helping to maintain a peaceful society in Canada - released a statement to CBC News detailing the future arrangement.

The Sussexes have been under protection from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police since arriving in the country in November - but this will end “in the coming weeks,” the statement reveals.

canadian and british taxpayers will no longer face the burden of funding prince harry and meghan markle s security costs © press
Canadian and British taxpayers will no longer face the burden of funding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's security costs

The body said the Canadian government was faced with an “unprecedented set of circumstances” when Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, decided late last year to spend an extended period in the Great White North. 

The development comes as the pair will wrap up their final royal duties with a string of engagements in the UK over the coming weeks before officially stepping down on March 31. 

Harry took a commercial flight from Canada to London on Tuesday while his American wife and their son Archie are expected to join him early next week. 

Public Safety Canada said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing to relocate to Canada on a part-time basis presented our government with a unique and unprecedented set of circumstances. 

“The RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) has been engaged with officials in the UK from the very beginning regarding security considerations.

"As the Duke and Duchess are currently recognized as Internationally Protected Persons, Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance on an as-needed basis. 

“At the request of the Metropolitan Police, the RCMP has been providing assistance to the Met since the arrival of the Duke and Duchess to Canada intermittently since November 2019. 

“The assistance will cease in the coming weeks, in keeping with their change in status." 

canadians signed a petition demanding that prince harry and meghan markle fund their own security © press
Canadians signed a petition demanding that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle fund their own security

The confirmation comes after weeks of speculation over who would pay for the couple’s massive security costs after they have broken ties with the Royal Family. 

Since the Queen’s grandson and his wife dropped their bombshell announcement in early January, reports have suggested Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau agreed that his government would help with the security costs. 

But while Mr. Trudeau said the country was happy to host Harry, Meghan and little Archie for Christmas, he has never confirmed Ottowa would cough up for the family long-term.

By cutting the Sussexes off from the public purse, Mr. Trudeau has avoided a financial burden which would no doubt have been met with widespread criticism at home. 

In January thousands of Canadians signed a petition demanding the Sussexes pay for their own security. 

Security for the prince and his former actress wife is estimated to cost into the millions of dollars every year.

The Canadian government’s announcement comes as royal fans are waiting to see Harry and Meghan make their first official appearance together since Megxit. 

They will celebrate the achievements of wounded servicemen and women when they attend their first joint UK event since announcing their decision to step down from royal duties.

Harry and Meghan will attend the annual Endeavour Fund Awards at Mansion House in London on March 5 to honor sick and injured military who have taken part in sporting and adventure challenges over the past year.

[RELATED] Canada's Largest Newspaper: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are NOT Welcome

Share this post:

Facebook is heavily censoring information from independent sources.

To bypass internet censorship, connect with us directly by enabling our notifications (using the red subscription bell in the bottom right corner) or by subscribing to our free daily newsletter.

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our mailing list

Follow Neon Nettle


PREV
BOOKMARK US
NEXT