Lawyer for Jeffrey Epstein's Victims Warns Prince Andrew is 'NOT Above the Law'
Attorney urges Duke of York to 'do the right thing' and speak to the FBI
A top lawyer, representing victims of deceased pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, has warned that Prince Andrew is "NOT above the law" following reports he has refused to cooperate with US prosecutors.
Attorney Lisa Bloom, who represents five of Epstein's alleged victims, urged Andrew, the Duke of York, to "do the right thing" and speak to the FBI.
On Monday, one of America's top federal prosecutors, Geoffrey Berman, revealed the royal has failed to keep his promise to help with investigations into Epstein's alleged child sex trafficking ring.
Two months ago, Andrew, the Queen's second-born son, vowed to "help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations" into Epstein, his Clinton-linked financier friend who was found dead last year.
Speaking on the steps of Epstein's Manhattan mansion yesterday, however, New York State Attorney Berman accused the prince of ignoring requests for an interview and providing "zero cooperation."
In response, Bloom says Epstein's alleged victims are "outraged" by Andrew's behavior.
"Push has come to shove," Bloom told BBC News on Tuesday.
"There are dozens of women who allege they were the victims of sexual assault by this predator Jeffrey Epstein.
"It is time for anyone with information to come forward and answer questions.
"Prince Andrew himself is accused of sexual misconduct and he also spent a great deal of time with Jeffrey Epstein.
"So, it's time to stop playing games and to come forward to do the right thing and answer questions."
Gloria Allred, a lawyer for five more of Epstein's accusers, told BBC Radio 4's Today program: "If he has done nothing wrong, which appears to be what he has claimed, then why won't he talk to law enforcement?
"No response is the same as zero co-operation.
"This is ridiculous. It's just not acceptable."
"We could, also, in our civil lawsuit, seek to subpoena Prince Andrew," Allred added.
"Certainly, if he ever came back to the United States - that would be one of the first things that I'm sure a lot of lawyers, including me, would want to do."
Virginia Roberts, now known by her married name Virginia Giuffre, has also launched a fresh attack on Prince Andrew, warning him his silence "raises more questions about the role he played" in Epstein's child sex trafficking operation.
A lawyer for Ms. Roberts, who claims she was raped by Andrew three times, said: "Prince Andrew's continued refusal to cooperate with the authorities after freely acknowledging that he would be prepared to answer enquiries raises even more questions about the role he played in the international sex trafficking ring Jeffrey Epstein and others operated.
"Prince Andrew should take most seriously the deeply held belief in this country that no one is above the law."
During his Newsnight interview in November, Andrew said he did not recall meeting Virginia Roberts at the London nightclub Tramp.
On the occasion Roberts said they first met in 2001 – when she claimed she was "trafficked" to Britain by Epstein aged 17 – Andrew said he couldn't have raped her that night because he spent the day with his daughter Beatrice and then took her to Pizza Express in Woking - roughly one hour drive from London.
Berman wouldn't discuss the investigation in detail but did confirm that prosecutors are looking at possible "conspirators" who worked with Epstein.
"Jeffrey Epstein couldn't have done what he did without the assistance of others, and I can assure you that the investigation is moving forward," Berman said.
The attorney declined to comment when asked if Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein's accused child procurer, is cooperating with investigators.
Mr. Berman said it was "fair for people to know" whether Andrew had "followed through" with his public commitment to assist the inquiry.